Cost of Living

Support For Your Home

The Household Support Fund was set up by the Government to help people who are struggling with the increase in living costs and feeling the financial pressure of paying their bills. You’ll find more information about the Household Support Fund in North Yorkshire at the Household Support Fund page.

If you’re not eligible for the Household Support Fund but you are struggling to pay for food, energy and other essentials you may be able to get other financial support through schemes such as the North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund (NYLAF) and a fund managed by North Yorkshire Citizens Advice and Law Centre that helps people struggling to pay their energy bills. You also find support around food, budgeting and money saving tips with the Craven Food Partnership. 

Healthy Start Scheme

You may be eligible for the Healthy Start Scheme if you are more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child or children under the age of 4. Through the scheme you will get a pre-paid card which will be topped up with money every four weeks. The pre-paid card can be used in any shop that sells healthy food and milk and accepts Mastercard. It can be used to buy:

  • fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables (whole or chopped, packaged or loose – with no added ingredients)
  • fresh, dried and tinned beans and pulses
  • plain cow’s milk (whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed)
  • infant formula milk

To check if you are eligible and how to apply visit Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)

Healthy Start vitamins

You can also get free Healthy Start vitamins. There are two types of vitamins available:

  • women’s vitamins which are used to support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
  • vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to four years old

Healthy Start vitamins are free if in receipt of healthy start card or at a reduced rate for those not eligible to claim the healthy start scheme. Visit Healthy Start Scheme | North Yorkshire Council to find your nearest venue to collect vitamins.

The North Yorkshire Council cost of living support page also contains advice on money, debt, benefit entitlement, free school meals and childcare costs as well as information about free Wi-Fi, digital support, travel and transport. The page also has information about energy saving, foodbanks and community-based support including Warm Welcome Spaces and local schemes depending on where you live.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

There are local schemes and organisations in North Yorkshire which may be able to help or point you in the right direction if you’re worried about the cost of living or struggling to pay for food and other essentials. You’ll find information about emergency financial support, managing debt, benefit entitlement, energy bills and staying connected all in one place at 
If you’re on a low income you might be able to get a discount on your council tax bill. If you meet the criteria, the council tax reduction scheme can give you a percentage reduction on your council tax bill between 25 and 100 per cent depending on your weekly income and circumstances. Council tax reduction is available to single people, families, couples, working people, retired people, those who are unemployed and anyone on a low income.

Find out more about the council tax reduction scheme and apply online.

Pension Credit

There are people in North Yorkshire who are eligible for Pension Credit but currently missing out.
Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over state pension age and on a low income.

If you qualify for Pension Credit, as well as extra money every week you’ll also be able to get other benefits like a free TV licence if you’re over 75 and help to pay for NHS dental treatment. Find out about eligibility, use the Pension Credit calculator to see how much you might get and apply online.
You can also call the Pension Service helpline on 0800 731 0469.

Legal Support

North Yorkshire Citizen’s Advice and Law Centre provide free, confidential and impartial advice to help people find a way forward with whatever problems they face, including money and benefits. You can get advice in person, over the phone, on a web chat or by email by contacting North Yorkshire Citizen’s Advice and Law Centre direct.

Emergency Support

If you need emergency support in Crisis Support – Hambleton or Crisis Support Richmondshire, we have 2 downloadable guides for these areas with resources to get the help you or someone may need. 


Wellbeing During the Cost of Living Crisis

It’s important to look after our wellbeing all the time, not just when times are tough.

If you need immediate help, call the Samaritans (116 123 free, 24/7 365 days a year) or 999.

There are some resources below that you might find useful if you don’t need urgent support.

We understand that there is so much information out there, and it can be overwhelming. Here in North Yorkshire, we have something called the Single Point of Access Crisis Service. Anyone of any age living in North Yorkshire can call this number, which is available 24/7: 0800 0516171

Supporting someone without internet access

If you are supporting someone who struggles to use the internet, please ask them to visit their local library or council office. They could also contact North Yorkshire Council’s customer service centre on 0300 131 2 131 Monday – Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm. They should say for “cost of living help” when they are asked what their call is regarding. 

Get more help

If you’ve been feeling low, stressed or anxious, you can also speak to your GP. They can talk about the thoughts you’re having and make sure you get the help and support you need. 

Alternatively, there is a great directory of all the ongoing support available in North Yorkshire to talk through your difficult feelings – find out more about what’s in North Yorkshire for me.

You can text the North Yorkshire texting service BUZZ US to discuss your concerns on 07520 631168. You will receive confidential advice, support and signposting from a wellbeing worker within one working day via text. BUZZ US is not a crisis service. If you are in crisis, you should call the Single Point of Access Crisis Service on 0800 0516171.

You may feel totally alone and like there’s no hope. No matter how bad things get and how strong those feelings might be, with the right support you’ll be able to overcome these overwhelming feelings.

Wellbeing Download

Coping Calendar

Wellbeing Download

Coping with Stress

Wellbeing Download

Helping Children Cope with Stress

Wellbeing Download

Self Care Tips

Wellbeing Download

Teen Mental Health – A Guide for Parents

Translate this site »